Gluten free, yummy, Pancake day
Yummy, healthy, gluten-free, dairy-free pancakes with buckwheat.
Not only are these pancakes light and nutty, but they’re also good for you! Music to your ears? Here’s how!
Either of the following two recipes are great, slight differences in their ingredients accommodate for different tastes.
Take some pictures of your pancakes and tag us on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter, we’d love to see how you enjoyed the day, gluten free or not. Tell us too whether you prefer your pancakes thin or small and fatter….we know our preference…
Happy pancake flipping!!
Let’s start off simply:
Makes approx. 8
Coconut oil for greasing
1.5 cups (200g) organic buckwheat flour
1 cup (250ml) water or unsweetened almond milk
1 tbsp organic ground cinnamon
Assorted toppings (pure maple syrup, honey or lemon juice, slices of banana)
Using a wooden spoon or electric mixer, combine the eggs with the flour and cinnamon.
Add the water or almond milk slowly, little at a time. This should end up looking like normal pancake batter.
Melt a little coconut oil in a pan and add a ladle of batter.
Tilt the pan to distribute the pancake mix evenly.
Flip the pancake halfway through cooking, then serve when evenly cooked through.
This recipe is a little more involved, but just as yummy, and as a bonus, it makes a bigger batch.
Makes: 10-12 pancakes
¾ cup buckwheat flour
½ cup brown rice flour
2 tbsp flaxmeal
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp salt
1¼ cup non-dairy milk (oat, almond etc)
¼ cup pure maple syrup
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
• Whisk the dry ingredients together.
• Whisk the wet ingredients together.
• Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
• Heat a large skillet over medium heat and grease with either butter or coconut oil. When the skillet is hot, using a ¼ measuring cup (1/3 is fine too, for a bit larger pancakes), pour in the batter. Do not crowd the pan.
• When bubbles start to form and pop on the top of the batter, flip it over, and cook for another couple of minutes until cooked through. Adjust the heat as necessary. Repeat for remaining batter.
• Serve warm with your favourite toppings.
Top with fresh bananas, berries or real maple syrup for a really lovely finish